Saturday, January 7, 2012

Lasakoski February Red in week 01/2012

I went to collect an insect sample with my kick net. I should have had my waders on, but this time I was wearing only my Muck Boots. I was abel to wade only some half meter from the shore. My intention was to study the insect life around sedge roots. Because of my lazyness I had to accept the limitation in wading I had.
Lasakoski is well known about its February Red hatch in March. That is why I had strong curiosity to find out if there were lurking stonefly nymphs.
I started to operate in lower Sauna Pool well abowe, but not far from the tongue of North Branch.  I really couldn't go far from the bank because of my boots and high water. From my foothold I tried to scrape sedge roots as well I could. From experience I knew the nymphs sholuld be there.
As result I got few lumps of sunken dead leaves and other debris, totally half of a bucket.
I depleted the bucket on a big plate ad started to sort out my catch. What a great catch it was. Normally this kind of qiuck sample produces some ten insects. Now there were dozens of tubed caddis larvas, triple times that of mayfly nymphs and totally fourty February Red nymphs. This promises very good February Red hatches in March, if nothing dramatic happens.

Brotherhood of February Red nymphs

No comments:

Post a Comment